Friday, August 07, 2015

So Long Belle

I think this blog sounds too much like WAYN's Obituaries on the Air.....you see kids WAYN is an AM station in Rockingham. When I moved there in 1978 I was a little surprised that I couldn't find that station on my way home from work at 9:45 PM, someone told me my first week that they went off the air at sunset. I would look it up to see if that is still the case but I'm betting they don't have a website. An old fashioned organ would start the show and then they would list the daily obituaries and times for the funerals. Every so often they wouldn't list any, I'd just sit there listening to How Great Thou Art or whatever the hymn du jour was and a mournful Jimmy Smith would say "we are sorry there are no obituaries to report today." No, you can't make this stuff up. By the way, Rockingham was elected the # 2 worst place in North Carolina to live recently. Funny enough, Hamlet was # 5 and Wadesboro # 8, do you see a US Highway 74 connection? I'm surprised they didn't throw Bennettsville South Carolina in for the hell of it. Jay and Jackson: you are welcome! But I digress as usual, where was I? Oh yes, Clara Crocker Talton Rooker passed away this week and I went to the funeral Thursday. We knew her as Belle.....Clara Belle.....anyway she was a sweet lady. She and Walt were my parents' best friends when they were much younger. Her daughter Walda (yes, we ran out of names in Rocky Mount long ago) was kinda like a big sister when I was a tiny little knothead. As usual I saw a lot of people I never see, and fortunately only a couple of minor fistfights broke out. We all had to behave because we were at the Rocky Mount public cemetery and we all knew we were all either carrying or had one in the car. Belle had been in poor health for too long, but no longer. Afterwards Pygmy and I discussed the fact that there aren't but a couple left from our parents' group of friends, in keeping with my sortaspicious nature I will not name any names. Rest in peace Belle and thank you for being a part of my life, a good part.
I've never liked Brad Keselowski, he is a good race car driver, it's something about that smirk on his face.....anyway I heard an interesting story this week that really touched me. I ask that you read the entire story:
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2015/8/6/brad-keselowski-daughter-scarlett-blog-paige-white-kentucky.html
Brad is an active social media person and he kept this one close until this past week. We all have pressure in our lives, and as I've told my boys often, you don't know what someone is dealing with on a daily basis, be kind to others.....................except that SOB who changed lanes while I was on my bike. Where was I? Oh yeah, driving a race car through this was tough, I still won't pull for you but I am even more impressed.
Now for some fun, yes I know he was shall we say a little odd, but I heard this song on the road this week, give it a try, if you're like me you should turn the volume up and I'll bet your toes will be tapping, in my case out of rhythm: 
And last but, well you know, this from the absolute huge pile of steaming bullshit file:
Mark my words, flag the tape, that will be exposed as a hoax, egad! You're kidding, right? Listen as the author thanks his brave Yorkie for scaring away the monster, and as the Yeti runs away, moves his camera to the dog.........I'm telling you, Darwin nailed it. But I want my 15 seconds of fame so please pass this along to some unsuspecting fool, or I'll tell Sasquatch, and I know where she is. AHA! It is female! And that is why she is so elusive, she has a closet full of clothes but can never find the right outfit for the occasion. 
OK, enough horse hockey for one night. 

No comments:

Dueling Banjos No, the odd looking young man did not play the banjo in the movie, here is how the movie-magic people did it: Fake sleeves !!...