Friday, July 31, 2015

Edgar Allen Poe


............is not my inspiration for this extended entry, I saw a punny joke about him this week. Can I remember where it was?
OK and we're off:

We used to have a shorthair pointer like this, but PooHead was faster, he just didn't know where he was going as well as this one:
Got that out of my system, now on to NYC. I surprised SWMBO with a sleeper train ride to New York, if it impressed her she did her best to disguise it. That might have been due to the condition of the toilets is steerage......We saw the new World Trade Center coming into town
Got up there a couple of hours late and enjoyed Times Square. We saw some odd looking people there, and they were all pointing at us!
Thursday we went to Yankee Stadium:
The new place is SO MUCH NICER than the old place, I have now got past my nostalgic muse of "why would they tear the old  place down?" The old stadium's field is now a park, and the diamond is now a series of diamonds. Someone took what the hipsters call a selfie
Thursday night we went to our favorite Angelo's in Little Italy and had a real feast. Afterwards we waddled around that neighborhood and Chinatown. Is that politically correct to call that Chinatown?
Friday we went to Fifth Avenue; I stayed in the American Girl store as long as TAR and the security guard would let me, then to the Lego store, and then to Tiffany's where the staff took one look at me and showed me to the door. I guess it isn't cool to walk in that store eating a pretzel with mustard dripping off...................if they can't take a joke.................
Lots of walking, back to Times Square, and then to see Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory) in a play called An Act of God. 
http://anactofgod.com/
Yes it was sacrilegious to a certain degree, but much less than expected. It lasted an hour and a half with no intermission, and for the most part it was a monologue. There were two angels who interacted but Parsons carried the show, and it was hilarious. We had great seats and laughed our tails off. And this guy was Gabriel:
Tim Kazurinsky, he used to be on Saturday Night Live, he doesn't look like that anymore, but he said I'd changed over the last 40 years also. 
Later that night we went to an Irish pub, yeah, who saw that coming, and yes we went there about every night. Nice place, had a 2 piece band the first night that we really liked. 
We also went to Sardi's for a nightcap and guess who we saw there? OK by now you should know my smart-ass remark to questions such as these:
I clicked one off the bucket list, I got a professional shave with a straight razor. I should mention that my personal bucket list has evolved into a list of things that I want to make sure I don't want to do as opposed to things I want to do. It was my first and last, not relaxing and the only thing touching the chair was the back of my head and my heels. It would have been better if TAR hadn't been standing behind the barber with a plastic bag popping it and yelling "NOONAN!"
The Metropolitan Museum of Art is always a good destination although we only had a couple of hours. We ran through the Egyptian and Greek-Roman displays on the first floor. The Egyptians kept everything, and it is good they did because when Caucasians raided their tombs in the 20th century it made for some good booty. FO and I discussed this today, an what point is that called grave-robbing, and at what point is it "OK?"
While there I noticed that a lot of male statue penises got whacked off or fell off through the years. I suspect the Catholic church was involved................but I also noticed that all, and I mean all of the female statues had perfect, and I mean perfect breasts. No lefty/righty, no surrender to gravity, all perfect. But strangely enough, no genitalia. Were the sculptors all men and really didn't know.............I suspect collusion was afoot. But not a vagina. 
Then on to see the King and I, we got there in time to go to a nice seafood restaurant beside PJ Clarke's. We had cod cakes and squid, excuse me, calamari with a red and yellow sauce. The yellow sauce was delicious and had saffron and aioli.  When the waiter gave it to us I asked if saffron was the Kingfish's wife, he was not amused.
At the play, and yes it is Rodgers and Hammerstein, it is the Lincoln Center, I've got my best girl on my arm.................I wore a coat and tie. But no socks. I was the only one. There was a guy on the front row in shorts and flip flops. Anyway it was all we expected and more. We don't do Broadway very often so when we do we get good seats. Wonderful show and it was so beautiful to watch the elderly couple seated across the stage weep when the show's standards were played. If you go, and I recommend it heartily, it is a good idea to not hum "getting to know you" while standing at the urinal during intermission. Could have been worse, the guy at the other end was singing :"shall we dance. 1-2-3" Etc. Etc, Etc. Great show, I mean come on, Rodgers and Hammerstein at the Lincoln Center? 

Sunday we made the train with an hour to spare, oh wait, yes, another stop at the Irish pub on the corner......Rocky Mount nearly on time, BBQ and fried chicken at Parker's..............and home by 7:30. After unpacking, the mail, e-mails and repacking...................short night
Up at 3:00 AM to catch my regular 5:15 AM to Dallas. Long week, and that is without a doubt the most time I've ever spent on an entry. Hope you liked it, and if you did, share it.
He's just a Poe boy from a Poe family
Thanks George. 

No comments:

Dueling Banjos No, the odd looking young man did not play the banjo in the movie, here is how the movie-magic people did it: Fake sleeves !!...