Friday, January 30, 2015

Guess Who I Saw Today?

Think about how I would answer that question if you asked me, look at the title again.........
At this writing Dink is still among us, so we'll continue to laugh. Very productive trip(s) this week to the AHR Expo in Chicago, then to San Diego for the NEMRA meeting. It was good to reunite with a lot of old friends and foes in Chicago, we got a lot done in two short days and nights. The NEMRA meeting is.....................different. I misjudged the angle I planned but had several good interviews with potential new representatives. If you're familiar with how HARDI meetings work, NEMRA takes it to a new level. This has been my station from Wednesday afternoon through tonight
That might appear as slightly depressing, like I said, it's different. I've heard from some reps that my predecessor preferred to meet with reps in the lobby, bar, restaurant, pool, etc., anywhere but here. I understand completely.
I met Elizabeth's mother last night and enjoyed her company. We traded a lot of stories about our children, perhaps we will write a book. I am glad she took the time to come downtown and meet, we had lots of fun and laughs.No pictures from Thursday night, but one from Wednesday night at a Hawaiian restaurant, might have to hit that again tonight.
San Diego is one of my favorite cities, we brought Jay here when he was little and had a great vacation, although above his protests and arguments we did not take him to a bullfight in Tijuana. The weather is ideal and there is so much to do in this area. Although the sun hasn't appeared this week it is still beautiful.
Those are a couple of big boats, the sailboat especially.......huge. As in 247 feet long, the world's largest sloop rigged sailboat. In the world, the world.......
NASCAR has a sense of humor, lets go racing

Now here's a little diddy about Jack and Diane.....................
Yeah, I don't know how that got in here. I needed the giggle.
On Wednesday evening I walked down the waterfront and saw our old friend the HMS Rose, now called the Surprise after she was used in Master and Commander, they never did a sequel, guess the audiences are still asleep. I guess that little Captain Dick never got her back. Last time I was here I was able to talk my way on since I was crew a couple of decades ago, this time they were closing her down so I didn't board her. Looking like she could use a coat of paint these days, and it is funny to see cannon hanging out of what was our galley. I am still amazed that while piloting that ship with all of her sails up you could still fall off on the wheel, ease back in and feel the acceleration, just as if you were on a Sunfish, Hobie, or Precision. The principles of sailing still apply in tall ships too.
Those guys who won WW II were big guys in so many ways, and the women were too, but I guess I never knew just how big they were until I saw this in San Diego
Lastly go back and look at this week's title, if you, or anyone were to ever ask me that question how would I answer it? Go ahead, think for a couple of seconds I have plenty of time. For any trivial question asked I usually have a standard, pat, smart-ass answer. Got it yet? Well guess what? Guess who I saw in San Diego?
Thanks for the memories Bob, and thank you for what you did for millions of US service personnel for a very long time.
Home Saturday night  and probably all week, will update the Dink story-line as we go along.Thank you for your thoughts and prayers on her behalf. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

another version with a better theme you might like


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGxnOmxDq58

John said...

I like the music better

fishinoptishin said...

Trifecta.

John said...

According to one of the nurses Dink woke up yesterday and asked "did I make it?"

Dueling Banjos No, the odd looking young man did not play the banjo in the movie, here is how the movie-magic people did it: Fake sleeves !!...